Thursday, November 27, 2008
Danny Boyle's Slumdog Millionaire will feature a remix version of the Khalnayak smash hit Choli Ke Peeche.
In 1993, Choli Ke Peeche created a wave of controversies in Bollywood because of it's suggestive lyrics and choreography. Not only did the song busted music charts, but also made headlines for its controversial lyrics.
More than a decade later, music guru A. R. Rahman has taken up the task of reworking on the track for Danny Boyle's Slumdog Millionaire.
Agencies have quoted Rahman as saying, "The song fitted the mood of the film. It represents the frentic pace, the colour and swirl of the early 90s. I have re-recorded it in the same two voices - Alka Yagnik and Ila Arn - though in a totally re-worked form."
On being asked as to why is the soundtrack of Slumdog Millionaire releasing after the release of the film, Rahman was quoted as saying, "As usual we took a little more time on it than we thought we needed to produce the album properly. The soundtrack is being released on December 12."
Rahman is excited about the success the film has got abroad.
Monday, November 24, 2008
Besides the films, concerts and private albums, there is something else that is keeping A. R. Rahman busy these days.
After the musical extravanganza offered in the soundtracks of Jodhaa Akbar, Jaane Tu... Ya Jaane Na and the soon to be released Yuvvraaj, Rahman will now compose the theme song for the twenty-twenty Indian cricket league.
This is for the first time that the music maestro has composed the theme song for any major sports tournament. The theme song doesn't have any lyrics but only chants accompanied by Rahman's foot-tapping composition.
So all you cricket fans out there, you've got one more reason to tune into this cricketing extravaganza when it kicks off on Dec. 3rd this year.
AR Rahman scored his first for Mahesh in the movie 'Nani'. Mahesh Babu and Ameesha Patel played the lead cast. The movie was directed by SJ Surya.
Being SJ Suryah's favorite songster, Rahman is once again composing music for Pawan Kalyan's 'Puli' directed by Suryah. Once it is done, the music director is going to carry on orchestrating for Tollywood with Mahesh Babu's next to be directed by Gautham Menon.The team usually comprised of Harris Jayaraj and Gautham Menon since a long time, but due to an estranged relationship between them, the duo has split-up. After parting ways with 'Surya s/o Krishna' being their last, Harris moved out and Rahman stepped into theproject
One composition by Rahman will be used for this campaign, and the maestro has given his confirmation. The chief electoral officer of Delhi, Satbir Silas Bedi, said: “We are trying to rope him in personally…and tell people to come out and vote”.
The hit song “Pappu can’t dance sala” from the movie Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na is selected for promoting awareness among citizens.
The assembly elections in the national capital on 29th November are a matter of concern for the electoral department. Delhi’s voter turnout has dropped considerably. The 2002 assembly elections witnessed mere 50 percent turnout and the civic election last year saw only 43 percent turnout.
Bedi is quoted as saying: “We want to create a sense of shame among people (who don’t go to vote) but tell this in a humorous way”. Bollywood can prove to be a good medium for making the masses more responsive.
And Rahman is going to do his bit for inspiring people to vote. Moreover, the talented musician is not getting paid for doing so.
Rahman has always stood for good causes. A few years back, he collaborated with Bharat Bala Productions to give a song like ‘Maa Tujhe Salaam’, which was not for any album. And his recent song ‘Pray for me brother’ is a song of hope, peace and brotherhood.
Saturday, November 1, 2008
Producer : Allu Arvind, Madhu Varma
Director : A.R. Murugadoss
Star : Aamir Khan, Asin, Jiah Khan
Singers : Javed Ali, Sonu Nigam, Suzanne D’Mello, Benny Dayal, Shreya Ghosal, Karthik, Pravin Mani
Lyrics : Prasoon Joshi
Music : A R Rahman
01 - Guzarish
Singers : Javed Ali
Guest Vocals : Sonu Nigam
02 - Aye Bachchu
Singers : Suzanne
03 - Kaise Mujhe
Singers : Benny Dayal, Shreya Ghoshal
04 - Behka
Singers : Karthik
05 - Latoo
Singers : Shreya Ghoshal
06 - Kaise Mujhe (Instrumental)
Producer & Music Composer:Rahman
Publisher:K M Musiq except O Saya
which wil be K M Musiq Imagem Musiq
Featuring:Rahman & M.I.A.
Hindi Lyrics & Gibberish:Rahman
Featuring:Alka Yagnik & Ila Arun
Vocal Supervision:V J Srinivasamurthy
Featuring:Palakkad Sriram & Madhumitha
Dreams On Fire
Lyrics:Wendy Parr & Blaaze
Additional Guitar:Sanjay Joseph
Mausam And Escape
Featuring:Asad on Sitar
Rashid Ali and Sanjay Joseph on Guitars
Featuring:Sukhvinder Singh Tanvi Shah
and Mahalaxmi Iyer
Spanish Lyrics:Tanvi Shah
Featuring:Blaaze & Tanvi Shah
Featuring:P.A .Deepak,Vivianne Chaix & H.Sridhar
Producer : Subhash Ghai
Director : Subhash Ghai
Star Cast : Salman Khan, Anil Kapoor, Katrina Kaif, Zayed Khan, Boman Irani
Music Director: A R Rahman
01 - Main Hoon Yuvvraaj
Singers : Salman Khan with The Fifth of Beethoven
02 - Tu Meri Dost Hain
Singers : Benny Dayal, Shreya Ghoshal, A R Rahman
03 - Shano Shano
Singers : Sonu Nigam, Srinivas, Karthik, Timmy, Sunaina, Vivienne Pocha, Tina
04 - Tu Muskura
Singers : Alka Yagnik, Javed Ali
05 - Mastam Mastam
Singers : Sonu Nigam, Alka Yagnik, Naresh, Benny
06 - Zindagi
Singers : Srinivas
07 - Dil Ka Rishta
Singers : Sonu Nigam, Roop Kumar Rathod, A R Rahman
08 - Manmohini Morey
Singers : Vijay Prakash
09 - Shano (Remix Feat. Ember)
Singers : Sonu Nigam, Srinivas, Karthik, Timmy, Sunaina, Vivienne Pocha, Tina
Lyrics:Na Muthu Kumar,Vaali,Pa Vijay
Director:Kala Prabhu Thanu
Singers:Benny Dayal,Blaaze,Viviane Chaix and Javed Ali
Lyrics:Blaaze,Na MuthuKumar,Viviane Chaix
03-I Miss You Da
The movies with the dots beside are the original ones. They were dubbed later by the other movie industries.
|1992||Roja•||Roja||Roja (1994)||Roja||Roja (Marathi)|
|Ashokan (1993)||Yoddha (1995)||Dharam Yodha (1993)||Yodha (1992) •|
|Thiruda Thiruda •||Donga Donga||Chor Chor (1996)|
|Pudhiya Mugam •||Padmavyuham||Vishwa Vidhatha (1997)|
|1994||Vandicholai Chinnaraasu •||Bobili Paparayudu|
|Super Police •||Super Police||Khel Khiladi Ka (1996)|
|Pudhiya Mannargal •|
|May Madham •||Hridayaanjali (1999)|
|Kizhakku Cheemayile •||Palnati Pourusham|
|Karuththamma •||Vanitha/Osey Krishnamma|
|Kadhalan •||Premikudu (1995)||Humse Hai Muqabla (1995)|
|Duet •||Duet||Tu Hi Mera Dil|
|Bombay•||Bombay (1995)||Bombay (1995)|
|Muthu•||Muthu (1995)||Muthu Maharaja (2001)|
|1996||Love Birds •||Love Birds (1997)||Love Birds (1997)|
|Kadhal Desam•||Prema Desam||Duniya Dilwalon Ki|
|Mr. Romeo •||Mr Romeo||Mr Romeo (1997)|
|1997||Minsaara Kanavu •||Merupu Kalalu||Sapnay|
|Ottam||50-50||Daud: Fun On The Run•|
|Mona Lisa||Kabhi Na Kabhi|
|Vishwa Vidhaata •|
|Oonjal||Doli Saja Ke Rakhna•|
|1999||En Swasa Kaatre •||Premante Pranamistha|
|Kadhalar Dhinam•||Premikula Roju||Dil Hi Dil Mein|
|Taj Mahal •|
|Mudhalvan•||Oke Okkadu||Nayak (2001)•|
|2000||Alaipayuthey •||Sakhi||Saathiya (2002)•|
|Fiza (1 out of 8 tracks)|
|Kandukondain Kandukondain •||Priyuralu Pilichindi|
|2001||One 2 Ka 4•|
|Love You Hamesha•|
|Star •||Takkari Donga Chakkani Chukka (2005)|
|2002||Kannathil Muthamittal •||Amrutha|
|The Legend of Bhagat Singh•|
|Kadhal Virus •|
|Enakku 20 Unakku 18 •||Nee Manasu Naaku Telusu|
|Kangalal Kaithu Sei •|
|2004||Warriors of Heaven and Earth (Mandarin)•|
|Lakeer - Forbidden Lines•|
|Meenaxi: A Tale of Three Cities•|
|Aayitha Ezhuthu •||Yuva||Yuva•|
|Dil Ne Jise Apna Kahaa (3 out of 8 Tracks)|
|Kisna - The Warrior Poet (6 out of 16 tracks)|
|2005||Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose: The Forgotten Hero•|
|The Rising - Ballad of Mangal Pandey•|
|2006||Rang De Basanti•|
|Sillunu Oru Kaadhal •||Nuvvu Nenu Prema|
|Varalaru - The History of the Godfather•|
|Sivaji: The Boss•||Sivaji: The Boss|
|Elizabeth: The Golden Age|
|Azhagiya Thamizh Magan•|
|2008||Jodhaa Akbar||Jodhaa Akbar||Jodhaa Akbar•|
|Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na•|
|ADA...A Way of Life•|
- • indicates original language release
- Note: "Year" indicates the year the earliest version of any multi-language movie was released. Movies with the year next to the title dictates that the film was either dubbed or released later than the original version of the movie.
- The films Nayak: The Real Hero (2001, Hindi) and Saathiya (2002, Hindi) were remakes of the films Mudhalvan (1999, Tamil) and Alaipayuthey (2000, Tamil), respectively. The soundtracks were reused with changes and additional songs.
- Nairsan is a Multi-lingual movie, mainly Bi-Lingual in Malayalam and English.
- He has contributed one song to Fiza (1999, Hindi).
- Rights for his Tamil album Kandukondain Kandukondain (2000) are reported to have been sold for a peak sum of Rs.2.2 crore. This record still remains unbeaten 7 years hence. He also made a guest appearance as himself in the same film.
The following films had soundtracks reused from previous Rahman soundtracks:
- Vishwa Vidhaata (1997, Hindi) from Pudhiya Mugam (1993, Tamil)
- Sevvanam song in Pavitra from a song in ARR's shelved Malayalam movie Vaishnavar.
- Thakshak (1999, Hindi) from En Swaasa Kaatre (1999, Tamil) 1 song (Jumbalaka), with changes in vocals and instrumentation
- Pukar (1999, Hindi) from En Swaasa Kaatre (1999, Tamil) 1 song ('Kay Sera Sera' from 'Nayagara'), with changes in vocals and instrumentation
- Jodi (1999, Tamil) and Sajni (2007, Kannada) from Doli Saja Ke Rakhna (1999, Hindi), with 3 new songs added
- Star (2001, Tamil) from Thakshak (1999, Hindi - 3 songs) and 1947/Earth (1998, Hindi - 1 song), with 1 new song added
- Love You Hamesha (2001, Hindi) from May Madham (1994, Tamil)
- One 2 Ka 4 (2001, Hindi) reused from Alli Arjuna (2001, Tamil) 2 songs ("Enthan Nenjil" reused as "Sona Nahi") & ("Osakka" reused as "Osakka Muraiya")
- Lakeer (2004, Hindi) from Rhythm (2000, Tamil - 3 songs), with 3 new songs added
- Swades (2004, Hindi) reused from Baba (2002, Tamil) 1 song ("Baba Kichchu Tha" used in "Dekho Na"), with different vocals and instrumentation
- Lagaan (2001, Hindi) and Alli Arjuna (2001, Tamil) both share the same theme music.
- Sajni (2007, Kannada): reused all songs from Doli Saja Ke Rakhna (1998, Hindi)
As composer, producer and/or performer
- "Al Risalah" - (2008).
- "Shakalaka Baby" - Kelly Poon's In the Heart of the World (2007). Universal Music.
- "Raga's Dance" - Vanessa Mae's Choreography (2004). Sony BMG.
- “The Journey Home.” - Sarah Brightman ‘s Harem (2003). Angel Records / EMI.
- Indian Mantra (2001). Sony Music.
- Jana Gana Mana (2000) / (2006). Sony Music.
- Gurus of Peace (1998). Sony Music.
- Vande Mataram (1997). Sony Music / Columbia Records.
- Fantasy / Andhi Maalai (1994). Pyramid / Melody.
- Thenvandhu Paayedhu (1992) / (2001). Magnasound.
- Colours (1992) with Kunnakudi Vaidyanathan and Zakir Hussain. Pan / BMG Crescendo.
- Shubhaa’s Set Me Free (1992). Magnasound.
- Deen Isai Maalai (1989) / Deen Isai Maalai (1991). Prince.
As composer, producer and/or performer
- “One Love” (2007) Composed for Campaign to include Taj Mahal among the Seven Wonders of the World.
- “Pray For Me Brother” (2006)
- “We Can Make It Better” (2005)
- “Ek Rahen Ek Nazaria” (2002)
- “Love’s Never Easy” (2002)
- “Shakalaka Baby” (2002)
- “Hey Jawan Tujhe Salaam” (1999)
- “Ekam Satyam” (1999) performed at Michael Jackson and Friends concert in Munich (1999)
- “Zindagi Ke Pyar Karo” (1998)
- “Oh Bosnia” (1996)
- The Banyan (2006) (short film for Netru, Indru, Naalai - created theme song for The Banyan)
- Shakthi Foundation (2004) (short film)
- Jayahae (2001)
- India on IMAX (2001) (first Indian film made with IMAX technology)
- Desh Ka Salaam (1999)
- Chale Chalo (2003)
- A. R. Rahman Live in Dubai. (2000)
Compilations / additional soundtracks
- Anokha - Soundz of the Asian Underground (1997). Polygram. Track: "Bombay Theme" 1
- The Best of the Musicals. Solid Gold. Track: "Shakalaka Baby"
- Ambient Chillout Mix Vol. 1 (2002). Track: "Bombay Theme"
- Essential Guide to India. (2006). Union Square Music. Track: "Bombay Theme"
- Essential Guide to World Music. (2006). Union Square Music. Track: "Mazhai Thuli"
- Café del Mar Vol. 5 (1998). MCA. Track: "Bombay Theme"
- Chakra Seven Centers (Instrumental) (1995). Meta Records
- Denti. Mercury. Track: "Bombay Theme"
- Fly. Track: "Bombay Theme"
- Flying Carpet. Wagram Records. Track: "Bombay Theme"
- Incredible India. Universal Records. Track: "Bombay Theme"
- Indian Summer. C4. Track: "Bombay Theme"
- Eastern Drums and Breaks Vol. 2. Track: "So Gaye Hain A. R. Rahman"
- Inside Man (2006). Varèse Sarabande. Track: Chaiyya Chaiyya
- Intervention Divine. Track: "Bombay Theme"
- Introducing A. R. Rahman (2006). Union Square Music. 20 Tracks
- Lord of War (2005). Lakeshore Records. Track: "Bombay Theme"
- Mondo India. Ark 21. Tracks: "Varaaga Nari," "Sowkiyamma," "Narumugaiyye," "Mazhai Thuli"
- MTV Total Mix. Ark 21. Track: "Musafir"
- Paradisiac 2. Track: "Bombay Theme"
- Patchwork. Naive. Track: "Bombay Theme"
- Sa trincha Vol 2. Universal International. Track: "Bombay Theme"
- The Streets of Bollywood and Beyond (2006). Times Square Records. Track: "Narthirthinna"
- Varka Mix. Track: "Bombay Theme"
- Vedic Path. Palm World Voices. Track: "Bombay Theme"
- VIP Lounge 1. Wagram Records. Track: "Gurus of Peace"
- Zen 3. Track: "Bombay Theme"
- 1 "Bombay Theme" is alternatively credited as "Bombay Theme Tune," "Mumbai Theme Tune" or "Bombay Theme Music" in compillations
- Airtel Express Yourself
- Airtel Live Every Moment
- Allwyn Trendy Watches
- Asian Paint
- Craze Biscuit
- Hero Punch
- Genic Chocolates
- Leo Coffee
- MGM Dizzee World
- MRF Tyres with sameer nair
- Murugan Textiles
- Parry’s Kasthuri Tea
- Premier Pressure Cooker
- Prince Jewellery
- Remanika Sarees
- Springz Mineral Water
- Tata Chola Tea
- Titan Watches
- Wall’s Magnum Ice Cream
- Young World
- Little One
- Disabled Film
- National Games
- NDTV India
- SAF Games
- Spirit of Unity Concerts Theme
- Unity of Light
- WorldSpace (2006)
- Roja (1992)
- Gentleman (1993)